26 Mar 2020. Every year we take a snapshot of our membership. Our members form a vast network of people across the state who are making a positive difference in their natural and working environments. The Landcare Movement is growing! Our membership has been increasing strongly for several years.
245 Member Groups
As of today we have 245 Member Groups (plus 13 new groups with applications in progress!). Landcare Tasmania's Member Groups are a diverse lot. We have three broad categories of groups:
- Community groups - made of members of a community who come together to support eachother on a chosen issue or at a certain location, and sometimes work in close association with local council or Parks & Wildlife. These include community associations, Bushcare & Coastcare groups, Wildcare groups, conservation groups, and many others.
- School groups - These are individual schools who have a distinct Landcaring element at their school - be it a kitchen garden, dedicated nature play, or sustainability focus - or all of the above!
- Property groups - These are typically large properties managing a wide range of land use types with a small group of people (often family) who are taking the initiative to make a positive difference towards caring for their land.
What contributions do Landcare Member Group volunteers make?
Our renewing groups reported on their volunteer activity in 2019:
- 4,888 Regular Volunteers - these are the volunteers who are regularly coming to activities.
- 3,058 Events were held around the state, including working bees, meetings, outings, market stalls, info sessions and workshops.
- 162,585 Hours were contributed by volunteers!
That's the equivalent of 93 people working full time all year!!
What issues do Landcare Member Groups address, and what activities do they participate in?
Where do Landcare Member Groups make a difference?
We asked our member groups whether their activities take place on public or private land, in urban, natural, or agricultural settings, and in what type of habitats. You can see there are many groups who are active in multiple settings - these are the striped sections on the first two charts, showing where they overlap.
54 Individual Members
These Individual Members hail from 21 of Tasmania's municipalities, plus a few interstate. These valuable members give financial support and/or are active in Landcaring in many ways. Some are part of several groups, some have succesfully completed projects funded by the Tasmanian Landcare Fund, and everyone shares a passion for looking after the environment.
1 Corporate Member
Yes, that's right - Southern Waste Solutions (SWS) has become Landcare Tasmania's first ever corporate member! Read more about it here!
What services did members access in 2019?
- 166 Groups accessed the LAP Grant ($120)
- 160 Groups joined the Landcare Tasmania Bulk Insurance
- 50+ Projects were supported through Landcare Tasmania's Project Bank
- 536 Events were advertised on our Events Calendar
- 100+ Member-discounted tickets were sold to the 2019 Tasmanian Community Landcare Conference
- Hundreds of people came to our outreach events for networking and skill-building