During this workshop, you will:
- Learn how to test water quality and identify waterbugs with John Gooderham, Simon Roberts, and Chris Bobbi
- Learn how to start a Waterwatch group
- Learn how to restore local waterways sensitively
- Learn about Landcare issues in your local catchment
- Meet local likeminded people and Landcare groups
- Get excited about citizen science and what you can do
Before coming to the workshop, please download The Waterbug App (free, Android and ios-Apple) and register. You can download it from Google Play, the App Store, or www.thewaterbugapp.com
Please carpool to this event if you can!
- Park at Site 2 - Comraich Property, 6150 Channel Hwy, Garden Island Creek
- Make our way to Site 1 - Flat Rock, upstream of Comraich, adjacent to State Forest. A representative from SETAC will acknowledge the country we are on and talk a bit about its significance as a women's area. We will learn to test for water quality and identify waterbugs.
- Make our way to Site 2 - Comraich, adjacent to the Channel Hwy and near the mouth of the Creek.
- We will be given a walk and talk by Landcare Tasmania CEO Peter Stronach focussing on how to restore riparian areas sensitively.
- We will then have lunch, provided by Mountain River-based restaurant, My Slice of Pie.
- We will again test water quality and identify waterbugs at Site 2, seeing if there are any changes in what we see while we are downstream and why that might be.
- To finish up the workshop, we will learn how to start and run a Waterwatch Group from Simon Roberts.
June 18, 2022 at 10:30am - 3pm
6150 Channel Hwy, Garden Island Creek
6150 Channel Hwy
Garden Island Creek, TAS 7112
Google map and directions