Landcare Tasmania has run a number of large grants to support groups and individuals across Tasmania in Landcare based activities. The Landcare Biodiversity Grants and Tasmanian Landcare Grants are examples of Landcare Tasmania’s state-wide devolved grant programs which aimed at protecting and enhancing high conservation value bushland and controlling weeds in Tasmania.
Landcare Biodiversity Grants
Image: Friends of Bass Strait Islands, Protection of shorebird habitat and coastal vegetation on Roydon Island
Between 2012 & 2015, the Landcare Biodiversity Grants were able to:
- Provide a $1.7 million state-wide project supporting the community in protecting high conservation areas across Tasmania
- Develop and support 67 projects with 144 sites throughout Tasmania
- Engage with community including 129 landholders and 32 community groups
- Remove threats from over 4,100 hectares of high conservation value vegetation communities
- Protect and enhance over 1,800 hectares of vegetation communities in good condition
- Undertake activities on over 360 hectares of land with high natural regeneration and biodiverse plantings.
Improving the knowledge and empowering land managers through funding and extension ensured that funds were directed to the most appropriate on-ground locations.
Tasmanian Landcare Grants
- 43 projects were funded
- $496k of project funds were delivered on ground
- In kind contribution of participants was valued at $748k
- All objectives for the project were over-delivered by between 163% and 1,265% of contracted obligations
- 49 community groups participated in the project, with around 1,000 volunteers involved
- 632 ha of threatened species habitat were protected
- 707 ha of infestations of Weeds of National Significance were controlled
“The Grant allowed us to establish a weed free zone along the main fire trail and recreation track in the reserve.
We’ve loved the bush all our lives and enjoyed the recreation it has given us, so it is a pleasure to give back a little.”
Jean - Friends of Coningham Wildcare