3 Acton Rd
Lauderdale, TAS 7021
Google map and directions
* A Free BBQ
* Tours of the local area with experts in bird life and salt-marshes
* Art and craft, stalls and displays
* Lauderdale Saltmarsh Reserve Activity Plan (RAP) walk & talk
* Parks & Wildlife Discovery Rangers
* Free kids activities and face painting
* Fast and funky talks by scientists and artists
* Live music
* Food and coffee vans
Wetlands and Biodiversity is the theme for this year's World Wetlands Day. Wetlands are rich with biodiversity and are a habitat for a dense variety of plant and animal species. Latest estimates show a global decline of biodiversity, while wetlands are disappearing three times faster than forests. This year's theme is a unique opportunity to highlight wetland biodiversity, its status, why it matters and promote actions to reverse its loss.
This day also marks the date of the adoption of the Convention on Wetlands on 2 February 1971, in the Iranian city of Ramsar on the shores of the Caspian Sea.
Wetlands are land areas that are saturated or flooded with water either permanently or seasonally. Inland wetlands include marshes, ponds, lakes, fens, rivers, floodplains, and swamps. Coastal wetlands include saltwater marshes, estuaries, mangroves, lagoons and even coral reefs. Fish ponds, rice paddies, and saltpans are human-made wetlands.
Take part in the global celebration #WorldWetlandsDay