The Landcare Bulk Insurance policies include public liability insurance and volunteer workers accident insurance for Landcaring activities. Please read the documentation below before signing up. For more information on the insurance, please contact our office on 03 6234 7117 and we will put you in contact with the insurance provider. For most groups, the insurance premium is covered by the Landcare Assistance Program (LAP) Insurance Grant (see below). Member Groups of Landcare Tasmania can be included in the Landcare Bulk Insurance policies by completing the short form on their New Member Application, and each subsequent year in the Annual Membership Form (January).
Current Policy Documents
Here is the Policy Wording and Coverage Summaries. These are subject to change every year as the policies are renewed every year on the 1st of April.
2022 Voluntary Workers Coverage Summary
Voluntary Workers Insurance Policy Wording
2022 Public and Products Liability Coverage Summary
Public and Products Liability Policy Wording
Bulk Insurance FAQ
1. Does my group need to be included on the Landcare bulk insurance policies?
If your group does not have concrete plans for volunteer activities or events, or if your activities are already covered by Council, Wildcare, NRE (formerly DPIPWE), the Department of Education, or other insurance such as your farm or business insurance, then you most likely don't need additional public liability insurance and volunteer workers accident insurance cover at this time.
If your group does have concrete plans for regular volunteer working bees, community events or meetings between 01 April 2022 - 31 March 2023, and your activities are NOT already covered by Council, Wildcare, NRE (formerly DPIPWE), the Department of Education, or other insurance such as your farm or business insurance, then you will need this year's public liability insurance and volunteer workers accident insurance. The Landcare Tasmania Bulk Insurance Policy is managed by our broker partner Austcover. Volunteer Workers Accident insurance is provided by Chubb; Public Liability insurance is provided by Keystone.
2. Who is covered on the Landcare bulk insurance policies?
The volunteer workers accident insurance covers Landcaring activities for volunteers only. It does not cover contractors or employees. Refer to the full policy for details
The public liability insurance covers "third parties" for personal injury and property damage in connection with your Landcare group and their activities. Refer to the full policy for details.
The following are exluded from the standard policy, but cover will be offered on a case by case basis subject to insurer approval and possible extra premium:
(you would need to send us details in writing, to be passed on to the insurer for review)
- Any shooting or baiting of animals
- Any SCUBA Diving
- Any event or excursions exceeding one day duration or 500 attendees
- Any overnight excursions/camping
- Any participation in any sporting activity or event
The following are excluded from cover:
- use of chainsaws, unless the user is certified to perform operation
- tree lopping, cutting, or removal where the tree involved exceeds five metres in height
- any burning activities
- creating or ploughing of firebreaks
- bicycle repairs
- event-specific exclusions:
- cancellation or non-appearance
- participation in contact sports
- mechanical amusement rides
- temporary elevated seating
- Contract Works Activities that exceed $50k or Contract Works Activities that are not owned or occupied, rented or leased by your Landcare group. Refer to the policy for the definition of Contract Works Activities.
3. What dates does the current policy cover?
The 2022 Bulk Insurance Policy begins 01 April 2022, ending on 31 March 2023
4. Is there an upfront cost to be included on this bulk insurance policy?
NO. The number of "core volunteers" in your group (the committee members / decision makers) determines the cost of the insurance premium. If insurance premiums stay the same for 2022, fees will be $200 for groups led by 10 or less core volunteers, $410 for groups led by more than 10 core volunteers. The cost of your group's insurance is covered through Landcare Assistance Program (LAP) Insurance Grant, delivered every year by Landcare Tasmania. The funds are generously provided by the Tasmanian Government. There is no out of pocket cost to your group. Some councils also cover the cost of insurance for their groups.
5. How does my group apply for the Landcare Assistance Program (LAP) Insurance Grant?
Member Groups can apply for the Insurance Grant on their New Member Application, and each subsequent year on the Annual Membership Form (sent out in January).
6. Do we need to apply every year?
YES! You must re-apply every year in the Annual Membership Form (January). For renewing members, the deadline to be included on the bulk insurance policy is 01 March, otherwise you risk having a gap in cover.
7. Is there an acquittal form for the Insurance Grant?
NO. Since the the grant funds all go towards insurance, it is easy for Landcare Tasmania to acquit this Insurance Grant on your behalf.