The Landcare Bulk Insurance policies include public liability insurance and volunteer workers accident insurance for Landcaring activities. Please read the documentation below before signing up. For more information on the insurance, please contact our office on 03 6234 7117 and we will put you in contact with the insurance provider. For most groups, the insurance premium is covered by the Landcare Assistance Program (LAP) Insurance Grant (see below). Member Groups of Landcare Tasmania can be included in the Landcare Bulk Insurance policies by completing the short form on their New Member Application, and each subsequent year in the Annual Membership Form (January).
Current Policy Documents
Here is the Policy Wording and Coverage Summaries. These are subject to change every year as the policies are renewed every year on the 1st of April.
Bulk Insurance FAQ
1. Does my group need to be included on the Landcare bulk insurance policies?
If your group does not have concrete plans for volunteer activities or events, or if your activities are already covered by Council, Wildcare, NRE (formerly DPIPWE), the Department of Education, or other insurance such as your farm or business insurance, then you most likely don't need additional public liability insurance and volunteer workers accident insurance cover at this time.
If your group does have concrete plans for regular volunteer working bees, community events or meetings between 01 April 2022 - 31 March 2023, and your activities are NOT already covered by Council, Wildcare, NRE (formerly DPIPWE), the Department of Education, or other insurance such as your farm or business insurance, then you will need this year's public liability insurance and volunteer workers accident insurance. The Landcare Tasmania Bulk Insurance Policy is managed by our broker partner Austcover. Volunteer Workers Accident insurance is provided by Chubb; Public Liability insurance is provided by Keystone.
2. Who is covered on the Landcare bulk insurance policies?
The public liability insurance covers "third parties" for personal injury and property damage in connection with your Landcare group and their activities. Refer to the full policy for details. The following are excluded from cover:
- tree lopping, cutting, or removal where the tree involved exceeds five metres in height
- any burning activities
- event-specific exclusions:
- cancellation or non-appearance
- participation in contact sports
- mechanical amusement rides
- temporary elevated seating
- Contract Works Activities that exceed $50k or Contract Works Activities that are not owned or occupied, rented or leased by your Landcare group. Refer to the policy for the definition of Contract Works Activities.
There are some excluded activities that may be covered if given written permission by the insurance company. If you need cover for these activities, please specify this when you sign up to be included on the policy (yes you need written permission every year even if nothing changes):
- baiting pests
- the possession or use of firearms
- participation in any sporting event or activity
3. What dates does the current policy cover?
The 2022 Bulk Insurance Policy begins 01 April 2022, ending on 31 March 2023
4. Is there an upfront cost to be included on this bulk insurance policy?
NO. The number of "core volunteers" in your group (the committee members / decision makers) determines the cost of the insurance premium. If insurance premiums stay the same for 2022, fees will be $200 for groups led by 10 or less core volunteers, $410 for groups led by more than 10 core volunteers. The cost of your group's insurance is covered through Landcare Assistance Program (LAP) Insurance Grant, delivered every year by Landcare Tasmania. The funds are generously provided by the Tasmanian Government. There is no out of pocket cost to your group. Some councils also cover the cost of insurance for their groups.
5. How does my group apply for the Landcare Assistance Program (LAP) Insurance Grant?
Member Groups can apply for the Insurance Grant on their New Member Application, and each subsequent year on the Annual Membership Form (sent out in January).
6. Do we need to apply every year?
YES! You must re-apply every year in the Annual Membership Form (January). For renewing members, the deadline to be included on the bulk insurance policy is 01 March, otherwise you risk having a gap in cover.
7. Is there an acquittal form for the Insurance Grant?
NO. Since the the grant funds all go towards insurance, it is easy for Landcare Tasmania to acquit this Insurance Grant on your behalf.